Strictly Elvis No. 6 (October 1968)
By Geert Hof
Welcome to issue No. 6 of Rocky Barra‘s classic Elvis magazine!
Some of this month’s highlights:
– Be sure to read Rocky’s heartwarming account of his first trip to Graceland and his interview with Vester Presley.
– “NBC has 24 hours of Elvis on videotape.”
– “Elvis has over 400 tracks in the can (recorded but not released on record).”
– “Director Mark Rydell wanted Elvis to star in Midnight Cowboy.”
– Elvis Presley: “I’m aiming to be accepted someday as a dramatic actor. That’s my aim. Our deal with NBC has a movie tie-in. I’ll do a special a year for a few years and they’ll finance a movie for me.”
– Also a fullpage NBC-cartoon by Ger Rijff (credited as ‘Gerry’ from Holland).
As mentioned above, the movie Frankie And Johnny was retitled Red-haired vs Light-haired (Rubia Contra Pelirroja) for showing in Mexico.
To the left we have a Mexican lobby card from 1966.
It was quite common in those years for movie companies to change the movietitle to ‘a more appropriate’ title for certain countries. This led to some farfetched and sometimes even ridiculous titles for (most of) Elvis’ movies abroad. Often these new titles had zero to do with the original title. To the right we have a small report from The Pittsburgh Press (dated June 9, 1968) that confirms Rocky Barra’s claim that Speedway in Hong Kong was retitled to Spring Flowers Are Always Good And The Moon Is Always Round.
My sincere thanks and utmost respect goes to Rocky Barra.
For an interesting interview with Rocky, please go HERE
Issues of Strictly Elvis currently on Echoes Of The Past:
Strictly Elvis No. 1 (May, 1968)
Strictly Elvis No. 2 (June, 1968)
Strictly Elvis No. 3 (July, 1968) coming soon
Strictly Elvis No. 4 (August, 1968)
Strictly Elvis No. 5 (September, 1968)
Strictly Elvis No. 6 (October, 1968)
Strictly Elvis No. 7 (November, 1968) coming soon
Strictly Elvis No. 8 (December, 1968) coming soon
Strictly Elvis No. 9 (January, 1969) coming soon
Strictly Elvis No. 10 (February, 1969) coming soon
Strictly Elvis No. 11 (March, 1969)
Fantastic work, guys. Thanks for that!
This is great to read. Thank you!
Hot damn! I still had to learn a lot making cartoons back then!
For those interested: Graceland Randers in Denmark will do an
exhibition of my Elvis & Rock n Roll artwork, starting in late December …
Gerry from Holland! I hadn’t noticed. Congratulations on your exhibition.
A great read, THANKS